Wednesday 4 February 2015

Being a lone wolf

After I finished school, before I went to university, I decided to try something new, exciting and scary, and go to Uganda for four weeks, by myself.


I went to a place called Fort Portal, in Western Uganda, to 'volunteer', with IVHQ. Now, I can see both sides of the story for voluntourism, but in all honesty I don't think I helped much in the school next door or the orphanage over the road.

Yes, I taught some maths lessons and hopefully inspired some of the kids to work hard at school and get further with their education. Yes, I washed up some pots and collected water in the orphanage, so that the staff there could spend more time on other important jobs. And yes, I painted a wall in a hospital ward that would otherwise have been left looking tatty and unclean, so that builders could fix more important things.

Decorating a room at Ibonde Children's Home

I also, however, was just another Western person to come into the orphanage, make great friends with the kids and form a bond, only to then leave again and not come back. I painted in a ward where people were dying because they couldn't afford the hospital food, and didn't actually help anyone.
The main thing I got out of my trip to Uganda was personal development - but I don't actually think that's a bad thing to admit.

I recently read a great blog post by my friend Maia, who I met in Uganda. It says how every woman should travel alone, at least once in her lifetime, and explains all the reasons why it's important.

I completely agree, and I thing more people should do it.

When I stepped off the plane at Entebbe airport at 3am, I felt more alive, excited and free than I ever had before. I had to think for myself, be alert all the time, and look after myself in a completely new place. I met tonnes of new people from around the world in that month, many of whom I still keep in touch with, and had so much fun. I learnt so much about myself in a really short amount of time, and gained so much confidence, I'm still amazed by it.

I even learnt the valuable life skill of how to milk a cow!

I'm going to India in less than six months (eek!) and although I won't actually be by myself, I'll still be with new people, in a new environment, challenging myself and learning new things - I can't wait to go. I'm unbelievably excited to see how the expeditions goes and what I get out of it.

I'll then be embarking on a whole year of travelling (and working to raise money for flights, at some point..) before I start my first real grown-up job in September 2016. I'll be going on my own, mostly, as my friends are either still at uni, starting jobs or not interested, which is why I found Maia's blog so interesting and inspiring. I'm going to have an awesome time. Keep following my blog (which will change its name when I get back from the Himalayas) to follow my journey of countries, friends, food, stupid ideas and self-discovery..


No comments:

Post a Comment